College students make up one of the largest groups of individuals that misuse drugs nationwide. Although the signs of substance abuse vary based on the type, there are often psychological patterns that emerge in those who are consistently abusing. While some personality changes can be attributed to other stressors, dramatic shifts that are otherwise unexplained may signal that something is wrong.
- Decreased interest in activities that were previously enjoyed
- Drastic change in grades or academic performance
- Shifts in sleeping patterns or fluctuations in weight
- Unexplained changes in behavior or personality
- Uncharacteristic mood swings, depression, or irritability
Recovery does not look the same for everyone. There is no one-size-fits-all approach.
If you or someone you know is struggling with abuse of drugs or alcohol, help is available.